Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My First Garden

This year I decided to plant a vegetable garden. I was trying to wait until May 15 when the risk of frost was over but I just couldn't so I planted on May 5. I am brand new at this and read a book called Square Foot Gardening. It seemed pretty interesting but there is sooo much to know about gardening that I'll never remember it all at once so I decided just to dive in. I only planted from seeds (guess I should've done some plants) but for my first garden I feel like it's fairly productive so far. I did a 12 foot by 4 foot garden so I had space for 48 squares. I planted a lot:

Tomatoes - beefsteak
Tomatoes - cherry
Cucumbers
Romaine lettuce
Carrots
Broccoli
Jalapenos
Butternut squash
Spaghetti squash
Yellow squash
Zucchini
Pumpkins
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Basil
Cilantro
Rosemary

Of the 17 things I planted I am getting about 10. Here are some pictures I took in the last month or so.

Here's the whole garden--thank goodness for the fence. We have bunnies and deer who I catch every morning by the garden!!


Romaine Lettuce


Cherry Tomatoes


Yellow Squash


Cucumbers


And today I picked my very first cucumber and had it in my salad for lunch! It was wonderful but as you can see kinda small (next to a baby spoon). I'm having a slug problem and need to get some bait for it. In the meantime, I am scared to leave them out to get eaten so I picked this one. :)

Most of the plants are a lot more productive now than they were a month ago when I took these pictures. But it has been so fun to watch our little seeds grow into plants and now vegetables. Andrew is even excited to watch it grow! I'll post more pictures when we start to get more things producing and especially if our pumpkin ends up growing!! :)

4 comments:

Betty Kay said...

Your garden looks great, Erika! I am so proud of you for actually doing it. It is very rewarding.

Betty Kay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Wow-way to go with your garden. We have a garden but yours looks much better than ours does.

We didn't realize we had rabbits in our subdivision until we found that something kept eating all of our plants...now we have a fence around our garden as well--so smart thinking on your part to put it up before you had some unwanted visitors eating it!

Erin said...

What a great garden. I wont post a picture of mine because I don't think anyone could see any produce because of the weeds! I'm sure the produce will taste wonderful!