Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New found hobbies of a stay at home mom

Although Keegan keeps me quite occupied 24 hours a day, I have managed to find a few new hobbies. Among these hobbies: sewing. For Christmas, Andrew's mom got me my very first sewing machine (Thank you, Leslie!! :) ). I decided to take on my very first project -- a rag quilt. Here's the finished product:


It is baby sized--thank goodness. My patience would never have allowed for anything larger. And from this photo you can tell that among my hobbies so far--photography is not one of them. I really need to figure out how to improve my picture taking skills (save that for another day).

Anyway, from this process I have learned:

1. Accurate measuring tools are key (turns out my cutting mat is not)
2. Accurate cutting is essential (but luckily not for a rag quilt)
3. I am grateful for stores where I can purchase clothes that I do not have to sew myself. Otherwise I would be hideously adorned with shoddidly sewn clothes. Haha...

It was fun and I hope to find more fun sewing projects. Until then, stay tuned for more new found hobbies of this stay at home mom. :)

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

yay for you for trying something new and productive! its looks really cute.

Suz said...

Cute quilt! I am way impressed. One of these days maybe I will get brave enough to attempt one- but then again I kinda lack in the patience category- so maybe I'll stick with scrapbooking. :)

Betty Kay said...

Erikee, don't be so hard on yourself. The picture of the rag quilt is fine and your quilt looks very nice. I think it looks great, especially for a first time effort. Actually, maybe the picture is so good, it covers up all the imperfections.