Friday, April 4, 2008

Puppy Play Time & It's Consequences

So it's been a little while since I posted...I know. It's just that as Andrew has been traveling SOOOO much lately, my life alone isn't that exciting and there are only so many new things to blog about Lilly. I mean, she is cute and all but do you really want to know how much she loves it when ice falls from the fridge door and she gets it stuck to the roof of her mouth or beard after she's just had a drink of water. (It is pretty funny actually--you have to see it to truly enjoy it though.)

However, I thought I'd share my exciting little adventure on Tuesday. I like to think of myself as a pretty clean person. I try to clean my house regularly and definitely my oven when something drips over onto the bottom. But never underestimate your abilities to create chaos. Lilly's last day of puppy training was on Tuesday. Usually this means we rush home, I try to make something fast for dinner, and then it's off to PetSmart for her class. Well I quickly put a frozen pizza in the oven before taking Lilly outside to do her business. Once we returned inside I noticed there were still 20 minutes left to go on the pizza (barely enough time for it to finish, us to eat, and get to her class on time). So I decided to give Lilly a little bit of attention--I always feel so guilty leaving her all day while we are at work. After about 5-10 minutes I smell something--perhaps smoke? Well I go into the kitchen and notice smoke billowing from the oven...hmm, that's weird. Oh wait...what about the huge flames engulfing our dinner?? Yeah, I didn't know what to do. You'd think I'd be prepared for something like this. So I ran around the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. (I realize this is probably isn't the best option). Luckily the fire went out with my first attempt. But it felt like an eternity before I actually decided what to do. I then tried to call Andrew a million times (he actually gets to be home for two full weeks!). He didn't answer of course but moments later walked through the garage door. Only to see me frightened in the corner with Lilly. I really thought our house was going to burn down. Sure we have insurance but we've only lived here for 10 months. That would be awfully sad!!

Anyway, long story short...if you're still with me...the fire was no real hazard. The pizza tasted a bit like smoke but was not burned. And I spent the next couple of days scrubbing the heck out of my oven to get the charred remains off the bottom!! :)

9 comments:

Suz said...

I am very glad to hear that your house did not burn down! I am pretty sure I would have been very freaked out myself!
Oh and sorry to hear that Andrew is traveling so much- definitely not fun. At least you have such a cute little puppy to keep you company :)

Natalie Putnam said...

Oh WOW, it's Andrew Young. I can't believe it's been so long. I loved looking at your blog and seeing how much your life has changed since High School.

Just thought I would drop in and say "HI"

Natalie Bush

Michael B said...

Wow! What an amazing story! I hope that life is this exciting for our visit in July...

Anonymous said...

Let's just say when you're in town in a couple of weeks, we'll do the cooking.

Kaytie Brown said...

That all sounds VERY intense! I'm glad everything is ok. Your oven story maade me think of the Regency oven experience we had where we broiled your bread. So sorry for that btw :)

P.S. Where is everybody getting their cute blog templates. Please share.

Michael B said...

Way to go, another hazard safely avoided! All I know is if it is a grease fire, don't throw water, just throw baking soda... I think it's baking soda... or just cover it with a lid. Okay, I'm glad your safe.

Dani said...

Holy cow sister! I'm glad everything is okay! Hmmm...I think this would be a good time for me to clean my oven - what do you think?

Dani said...

PS... MICHAEL AND ANNIE... if you are reading this, I can't get on your blog! Can I have permission - PLEASE??! danibourgeois@gmail.com

Tessa said...

You are completely hilarious. How did I not hear about this from you? I vow to be a regular reader of your blog from this point on - it's fabulous!