Saturday, September 24, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday, Keegan!!

For several months Keegan has been telling me that his birthday is coming up. So on Friday, I walked into his room and said, "Happy Birthday, Keegan!" And he replied, "My birthday came up? Let's go see it!!". It was pretty darn cute.

Since Mommy is still adjusting to life with a second little person in the house, I thought I'd keep the celebration simple. I planned to have friends meet us at the park for cupcakes in the morning. That's not too much to ask is it? Except for when the weather decides to rain instead of shine. However, since I decided to make his cupcakes in ice cream cones, I realized the rain was a blessing. Transporting these little top heavy treats would've been slightly nightmarish. :) And so the celebration took place at our house despite my best efforts to make it easy for myself.



Why would I make cupcakes in an ice cream cone? Well I'm pretty sure that for years to come Keegan and his friends will be talking about the time, "My mom made those cupcakes in an ice cream cone. Wasn't that awesome?" Ok, that'll probably never happen. I just like to cause myself stress. Next year I'll buy some cupcakes from Kroger (yeah right! that'll also probably never happen). I actually thought these would be easier than some cute little decorated cake or cupcakes I've made in the past. I was wrong.

And why two varieties of cupcakes, you ask? Turns out I forgot that one of the kids I invited has an egg & dairy allergy. Whoops! So the top cupcakes are good ol' Betty Crocker Rainbow Chip and the bottom are homemade chocolate egg & dairy free cupcakes. Not only do the homemade ones look better, they were the obvious favorite of all the kids.

Keegan wore about 5 outfits on his birthday. Every time he opened clothes (jammies or not) he had to put them on. So here is outfit one...

Outfit two... (and I highly recommend individual cupcakes for any child attempting to blow out candles that uses the spit method. At least they are the only ones who have to eat the spit. :))

When Andrew got home from work we took Keegan to the horse track to see some races. Andrew & I have been before but had never taken Keegan. Since he loves animals it was the perfect little event for him (although the play set they had held his interest in between races pretty good). And note Keegan's 3rd outfit for the day. We've decided now that as long as we are looking at the camera, it doesn't matter if our kids are. We don't intend to have any pictures with all of us looking ever again. :)

Keegan loved opening his presents and got pretty good at smiling while holding them up. You can see the remains of his gifts on the floor.

After all of Keegan's friends left (did I mention we ended up having over 20 people over?!) He was singing Happy Birthday to every person he could think of. I had to record it but of course the video is slightly too large to upload. All in all, it was a great birthday for Keegan!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

yay! what a super mom you are! just roll with those punches! :) happy bday keegan!

Suz said...

What a cutie- and those cupcakes look awesome! Don't you just love things that are supposed to be simple- seems like they never actually are!!

Kirsta and Morian said...

Happy Birthday to Keegan! I can't believe how big our kids are getting!