Our planned 2009 vacations are now complete...we'll definitely have to squeeze in some weekend trips because there is still over half the year left! :)
Here is a not-so-brief summary of our week long trip to Kirtland, Ohio; Niagara Falls, Ontario; and Palmyra, New York. We did a lot more than I show in the pictures below but I thought I should limit myself. :) For more details please join my parents FHE slide show tomorrow. :) :)
Day One: First stop was the Kirtland Temple.

The Kirtland Temple has been restored and is now owned by the Community of Christ church (formerly RLDS). We felt a definite difference in feeling of the tour being run by Community of Christ members versus all of the other tours being led by LDS missionaries.

Grammie, Grandpa, and Keegan at the Kirtland Temple.
Day Two: Historic Kirtland (owned by the LDS church).
Day Three: Niagara Falls. We were told that Canada is the better side and we're very glad we listened because the US side looked pretty small compared to the falls on the Canadian side.

And who could pass up the huge Hershey store just behind the Falls in a shopping center? :)
Day Four: Palmyra. This is our cute little family at the Palmyra Temple (a modern day temple). My parents were nice enough to watch Keegan so Andrew and I could do a session. Yes we were all laughing in the picture--which is why Andrew's eye is closed.

No the Sacred Grove is not a specific spot with pillars of light. My mom was disappointed to find this out. They just know which forest Joseph Smith went to when he prayed and received the first vision. This forest is known as the "Sacred Grove". Sorry, Mom. :)
Day Five: The Grandin Building. We found out that E.B. Grandin, who published the first Book of Mormon, was not a member of the church and was actually reluctant to publish such a controversial book at first.

The Peter Whitmer Farm where the LDS church was first organized on April 6, 1830. Much like the other farms and log homes but this one has a chapel and visitors' center that then Elder Hinckley had built in 1980 for the sesquicentennial (150) celebration.

Since we were in the area we stopped in Seneca Falls, NY where the first convention for women's rights was held. It's actually not an incredibly impressive building and I'm definitely not a feminist but I am grateful for the rights women have today.

We actually stayed in Rochester, NY while visiting Palmyra. Our hotel rented out bikes for free so Andrew and I took advantage while my parents watched Keegan. Andrew pushed me hard and we rode the bikes to downtown Rochester to these falls---High Falls. Kinda insignificant compared to Niagara but still pretty cool to be downtown in a city.
Ok, so if you've made it this far you deserve to hear my testimony. I don't believe that seeing the church history sites made the Church any more true. However, it was amazing to actually see the things that Joseph Smith went through so that we could have the true church upon the face of the earth today. Walking up the Hill Cumorah with Keegan in the baby carrier made me realize how hard it would be to run with golden plates. Seeing the many places Joseph had to move over such a short period of time made me realize how difficult it would've been to sacrifice so much. And still he did it because he knew it was true. I'm grateful for all he did and for all those that helped. I'm grateful for all of the many things that the Lord did to prepare the restoration of the gospel and so grateful to have membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
5 comments:
I have been coming to your blog everyday waiting for these pictures!! First off, as always, Keegan is adorable, and I brag about that kiddo to everyone. Second, I love the church history sites as well. It feels like everything you have learned about your entire life is coming to life. It is great!
Oh, and don't worry about the pants, Brent is wearing shorts so he doesnt even notice!
love you guys!
looks like you guys had a month of great times! and i agree with aubrey, keegan is adorable! i love the pic where you are all laughing, like he totally got the joke someone just said, those eyes are lite up when he laughs. oh, i saw a cute bee background on delightful dots. just saw it and thought of you.
Looks like you guys had a great trip! I am dying to see the church history sites. I love the picture of Andrew with his helmet!
Well it looks as though you folks had a really enjoyable trip. I'm so happy for you.
Wow...I would love to do a trip like this!! I have been telling Jared that I really want to do a trip like this...maybe when we don't have a nursing baby!
Post a Comment