Sunday, January 27, 2008

Puppy!

For the past week Andrew and I agreed to puppy-sit our friends' dog. Her name is Zarahemla (Zara for short) and she is a greyhound-lab mix. She is a sweet dog and definitely still seems to be a puppy but having her for a whole week helped us feel a little excited to get our own puppy.

This is Zara--you can tell she's a little timid and really misses her own home! She pretty much barked all night long until we discovered that putting a blanket over her crate helped her to feel more secure. However, on the very last night she lost that sense of security and was back up to barking all night long. So after being a little less rested than we'd like, we happily returned her to her home! :)

And this is our baby mini schnauzer that we met yesterday. We went to pick her out and will be able to take her home with us next Saturday when she is eight weeks old. She is sooo tiny, I had no idea she'd fit in my hand. I fell in love immediately. The breeder sent us this picture (we forgot our camera) and she is sooo much cuter than the pictures show! :)

Right after we left her yesterday we went to the pet store and bought her a bed, collar, leash---all the good stuff that she'll need when she comes home next week! We haven't decided on a name yet but know it'll come to us once we have her for real! :)

9 comments:

Suz said...

Oh your little puppy is adorable! I am not usually one for dogs, but rand's parents have a mini schnauzer and I love her. She's the best dog. Congratulations! Post more pics when you get her!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea you guys were in the market for a dog... I guess we will get a chance to meet this little puppy come July... This is going to make Annie dog crazy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello... I am, admittedly, a little jealous, but I want a big dog and we don't have the space for that yet. How fun though, are you guys going to be the kind of people that have dogs instead of kids? Just kidding.... but seriously

Erika said...

To be honest, I'd also like a chocolate lab--perhaps one day. But without a fence I just can't bear to force a dog to with that much energy to be stuck indoors. Andrew grew up with miniature schnauzers and they are much more house friendly dogs...and will we just have dogs instead of kids? Who knows...if the dogs do the job we just might. :) :)

Anonymous said...

There's no room in the backyard for the dog to run around anway. Remember, you have a tobacco crop to plant.

Betty Kay said...

I say she is definitely a Daisy!!! Do you have the nursery all fixed up yet???

Kaytie Brown said...

SOO cute!!! I had no idea you were a dog girl. We hope to get one. Someday...

Anonymous said...

Erika! Oh my goodness as embarassing as this is, I almost started crying when I say these pictures. It makes me miss my puppies so bad. I am so jealous! And you better be bring her to GA in April! I want to see her so bad!!

Let me know when you name her!!
Aubrey

Ashley and Dave said...

We are super jealous! I would really like a puppy dog but would actually be more scared for the dog than for Kinsey. She loves dogs and just mauls them with her love. Congratulations with your new addition to your family!